Wednesday, August 8, 2012

b.s. and kraut

Over the last couple of months.... well the last year.... I have really opened up to trying a variety of fruits and vegetables. 

I have been trying things over and over. I know our taste buds changes over the years and it is important to keep trying those vegetables again and again. 

A few things that I have grown to love are asparagus, tomatoes and brussel sprouts. I have tried b.s. once before and they were boiled to almost mush. A few months later and here I am loving them! 

With most vegetables, its all about how you cook them. I have learned that most of the time less is better. 

I have been trying lots of the recipes out in the Practical Paleo cookbook. (By the way, you can order the book here.) One of the recipes was b.s.. Since I had tried several other recipes out and they were all delicious, I thought it was time to give them another shot. 

Well, well, well... they were delicious!

All I did was slice the b.s. and an onion, put them on a cookie sheet, sprinkled them with a little salt and pepper. 
 Put in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes and...
Yummy, Yummy, Yummy! 
Give it a try!

I, also, eat a lot of saurekraut. Why... read here. I usually just eat it on the side with any dish or put into my salads. In the same book, that I have been talking about over the last couple of blogs, is a recipe for homemade kraut. Of course, Zach and I had to try it out. It is the fermenting stage right now and will be for the next 1.5 weeks. I can't wait to try it out. We made two different kinds... regular and a spicy pepper/garlic kraut. 
I put the lids on but as soon as I took the photo, I was quickly told that you have to leave the lids off for it to ferment. I looked at Zach like he was crazy!! He was right though. It has to stay uncovered for 2 weeks. A little gross? Maybe! But it is how its done. Will keep you informed of how it tastes!

There are a few dessert recipes that I can't wait to try. Like.. coconut cookies, bacon brownies, and chocolate bark.

This book is filled with so many awesome recipes and most of the recipes only need a few ingredients. Super easy and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment