Tuesday, August 21, 2012

this and that

Zach and I were giving the opportunity to go to the New Orleans Saints preseason game Friday night. We were so excited that everything worked out this time and were actually able to go. 

Us cheesing before we pulled out of our driveway.
 We left our house at 1245pm Friday afternoon. We thought this was plenty of time to get us to our hotel, eat supper and then head to the Superdome.... WRONG!!! 

Weather and traffic was awful! We got to our hotel, which was a 5 minute walk to the Superdome, at 6pm. Thanks to me, early bird to everything, didn't think we had enough time to sit in a restaurant and enjoy a nice meal. I insisted that we should walk on over and just pick something up at the dome. Zach and I scouted out the food and decided to get bun-less hotdogs and some almonds and call it a night. 

Our cozy room. 

I bothered a nice person to take our pic. I was so excited!!!
 WHO DAT!?!
GEAUX SAINTS!!!
 Sad to say the Saints lost... by 3!!! points but I still enjoyed it!!!

We didn't really have any plans for Saturday. We got up early, workout in the hotel gym, ate breakfast and then checked out of our hotel.
We saw a gluten-free/dairy-free bakery called The PeaceBaker on Friday as we were stuck in traffic. I was so excited!!! Zach and I have been gluten-free since January/February. While we have figured out ways to enjoy delicious treats on rare occasions, it was nice to enjoy somethings that we haven't had in a very long time!

We didn't get a lot!!
 So yes, Zach and I let ourselves enjoy all of this. We didn't eat it all at one time. It was over the 4 hour drive home and then finished it when we got home. :) Here is what's in this little box:
Cinnamon Roll
Mini Donuts 
Mini Wedding Cupcake
2 Regular Size Cupakes 
(1 S'mores & 1 Chocolate Chip Cookie)
Banana Chocolate Chip bread
(This is in the freezer... we were in sugar coma by this point!)

I highly recommend this place if you are in the New Orleans area!!! 

I don't regret eating this one bit because I have been reading this book called It Starts with Food. For anyone who knows me knows that I am not and I repeat am NOT a reader. So wish I was! Anyways... Zach read this book and he kept telling me things that he was reading and it got me really interested. I gave it a try and next thing I know I. Read. A. Book. Can you believe it? Well neither can I! Anyways, in this book you learn about how different foods and how they affected your body. I have been gluten-free, mostly dairy-free (dark chocolate liked to slip in occasionally), and mostly processed food free for a while but still enjoyed learning what legumes, dairy and other items can do to you. In this book they give you a challenge... Whole30.

Whole30 is a 30 day challenge were you give up sugar, dairy, gluten, processed foods, artificial sweetners, legumes, and grains. (This is why I splurged on all the goodies Saturday... Sunday started my challenge!) You don't weigh any food out, you eat at a table with no electronics occupying you, and must try to spend at least 15 minutes eating. While I pretty much eat this way anyways, I still thought I would give this a try. I am real bad about using stevia, allowing dairy to slip in and I never eat at the table at our house. I am on day 3 and so far so good. Here are a few pics over the last couple of days...

Breakfast:
Eggs, porkloin, kale, peppers and mushrooms and kraut. 
 Lunch:
Chicken spinach salad, peppers, cucumbers, boiled eggs and avocado. 
 Supper:
Bell pepper chicken sandwich with spinach and avocado, broccoli, cucumber, and blueberries. 
Check the book and try the challenge! 

Sorry for the long post... a lot to talk about :)

No comments:

Post a Comment