Monday, February 11, 2013

Lent 2013

Wednesday is Ash Wednesday, also known as the start of Lent. 

No, I am not Catholic. 

I am Baptist.

Each year, I try to partake in Lent. I think it is a great personal challenge to give something up. A long time ago,  probably in elementary, I was told about Lent. I decided to give up sweet tea. I am so thankful that I did because I never went back to drinking it. Zach and I are probably the only two southerners that you will meet that don't drink sweet tea. 

Last year, after several months of "trying" to give up gluten and everything that has wheat, barley, and rye, I finally decided to give it up for Lent. Once again, so thankful that I did! I feel so much better without it! I know I have talked  about it several times but just a few of the positives of giving up gluten... clearer skin, no more knee pain (gluten can trigger arthritis), my digestive system is better and no more allergy flare ups. With this crazy weather that we have here in Mississippi, I have only had one sinus cold in a year and I am positive that I got a hold of something on vacation that I wasn't aware of. We have learned to ask questions each time we go out to eat or research restaurants before we go. 

I have given up things for Lent and then continued to enjoy them after Lent was over, such as... mayonnaise (yes, I enjoy mayo on occasions now... no, we don't keep it in the house), sodas (I don't drink these at all anymore), potatoes and bread (I only enjoy gluten free bread every once in a while). 

I have been thinking of what I could give up for Lent this year. I thought I could give up treats and splurges but I eat pretty clean and so I thought taking away a splurge here and there would be border-line crazy. You got to live a little! And plus, I have 4 baby showers in the next couple of months. I am looking forward to enjoying myself. 

I started looking at our bank statement and what all we spent money on this past weekend. I was blown away at what we spent on eating out for 3 meals. Are you ready for this....$120!!! Yes, that is three meals and dessert. RI-DIC-U-LOUS!!! 3 MEALS=$120!!! 

I sent a text early this morning to Zach after I saw this and asked him if he wanted to give up going out to eat for lent. So thankful that he jumped right on the bandwagon and agreed!!

Yes, this is going to be very challenging. 

Yes, I am 100% sure we can do this.

Yes, I am sure this is one of those things that we will resume after Lent.... maybe not $120 on 3 meals.

So, family and friends... please understand that if you ask us to go out to eat that we will be more than happy to go with you but we will not be eating. We will join you after Easter. 

Do you give things up for Lent? 
What are you giving up for this year??

No comments:

Post a Comment