Sunday, September 30, 2012

good eats

Zach and I ate some delicious food yesterday... I have to share it with you! 

I am not a cooker. 

So.Not.Betty.Crocker.

But something here lately has gotten into me. 

All I want to do is bake or cook a recipe out of the 3 new cookbooks we have gotten. I am loving every bit of it too. If I had the house and money to entertain every night of I think I might would do it! Ok... maybe not every night but probably 6 nights. ;)

So, on to the good eats from yesterday. 

Let me make a disclaimer real quick... Zach and I eat only meat, veggies and healthy fats during the week, so on Saturday we re-fuel our bodies with carbs from whole foods. Some call it "carbing-up".

We made our Saturday morning pancakes. These have become a staple for Saturday mornings! 

Banana Pancakes
You can find the recipe here. We left out the chocolate chips this time and just used a tiny bit of pure maple syrup. Honestly, these are so good alone that you really don't need any toppings. 

After breakfast, we ran some errands, met up with Zach's parents, and then came home to make some lunch. 

I have written about Practical Paleo before. We haven't tried one recipe that we haven't liked.  
We had some turkey burgers already made so we decided to make some sweet potato pancakes. 
What does sweet potato pancakes and turkey burgers have to do with each other???

You use it as your bun!!!
\
We had turkey burgers, kale and peppers, and made sweet potato fries with the extra sweet potatoes we had. This was so good. Yes, we had two different types of sweet potatoes in one meal but who cares!

For dessert, I pulled out my new Paleo Induglences book. 
I flipped through the book and found a recipe that we had most of the ingredients for already. We did have to go to the store to get nuts but other than that we had everything! 
I have to be honest real quick... these cookies are called Macadamia-Date Macaroons. The store we went to did NOT have any macadamia nuts. So, we improvised and used walnuts instead. They were so incredibly good. The had coconut, dates, walnuts, raw honey... what else do you need???

For supper, we ate left over sweet potato pancakes. Zach ate another burger and I ate them like actual pancakes with a tiny bit of raw honey drizzled on top and some frozen grapes. SO GOOD! I forgot to snap a picture. Please forgive me!!

Here are the recipes!!!

Sweet Potato Pancake:
3 eggs
2 tsp coconut flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 cups shredded sweet potato (we peeled, cut into chunks and pulsed in the food processor)
Coconut oil (for the pan)
Mix all ingredient together and cook like pancakes. The sweet potatoes will still be bits and pieces, not pureed. The pancakes have a great texture to them.

Macadamia-Date Macaroons:
8 pitted dates
3/4 cup of macadamia nuts (or walnuts in our case)
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1 egg
1 TBSP of raw honey
1 tsp of vanilla extract
Mix everything together in the food processor. You want it to be chunky not smooth. Scoop spoonfuls onto a greased or lined baking dish and cook on 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. 

These recipes are a must try! 

I guess you can just me...

The New Betty Crocker :)

No comments:

Post a Comment