Sunday, April 22, 2012

reunion

Yesterday, I got to go back to my old stomping grounds. I not only got to see where I spent 4 years of my life but I got to spend it with the girls who helped me make some awesome memories.

Good ole Cleveland, Ms!

Delta State University!!

Fighting Okras!!!

Phi My Fraternity!!!!

Nine years ago.... YES, 9 YEARS AGO.... I stepped on the campus of DSU as a freshman. Thanks to my sister who had been to DSU for several years and was a Phi Mu, I knew a good bit of people, but not knowing a soul that was my age. 

I got to DSU a week early for recruitment. I week of no cell phones, no computers, no communication with anyone outside of recruitment. Went to nightly parties eliminating one chapter at a time. On Friday of that week was bid day. I placed my choice the night before hoping that the same chapter would want me too. I was handed my bid card with which chapter I got. I didn't even look at the card! I ran straight to the Phi Mu line and was the first one in line. I finally opened my card and was ecstatic!!! 

I was a Phi Mu!!!

We ran out of the Union on to the Quad to a bunch of other Phi Mu's in orange shirts. My sister came running to me with arms opened and handed me my orange shirt. I was in a sorority not knowing what to expect. 

We all got in the back of pick up trucks and started making rounds around the Quad. The girls were all chanting chants and screaming and yelling with excitement. I just kept looking around with a smile on my face, ready to start a new chapter in my life. 

We headed to a pool party and just hung out getting to know each other. I quickly became great friends with these girls! It was a bond. A bond like no other. A sisterhood bond. 

I am still great friends with them. I might not talk to them everyday but I know that if I ever needed anything I know that I could call any of these girls and they would be there. 

Yesterday, we had a reunion. A much needed reunion! Em and I drove up to Cleveland to meet our friends for lunch at the very yummy A La Carte. One of our favorite places to eat when we were in school. We then headed to the Union for a little meet and greet. 
After the meet and greet, we headed to the new Phi Mu hall and chapter room. Since, DSU is a smaller school we didn't have houses. We had halls in the dorms. The chapter was moved to a new dorm because of the former dorm being condemned.  After taking a tour, Kaitland and I walked over to our "home" and tried a few dorms so we could walk through our hall one more time before they tore it down. We had no luck... doors and windows were locked :(

After driving through the campus to check out some of the newer dorms and riding around town to places we use to always go, it was time to head to the hotel and get ready for the dinner. 

Before the dinner, we headed over to AnnMarie's for appetizers and cocktails. It was a great time to mingle with everyone again!

Me and Chastity before the dinner.
She was my suite-mate for 3 years. 

Me, Neeley, Savannah, and Kaitland

My wonderful Big Sis, Missy!

After visiting for a little while, we headed over to the Warehouse for dinner. It was delicious and a great way to end the wonderful day!

Me, Katland, Chastity, Amanda, Neeley, Tracy, Stormi, Amy, and Lacey.
 Me and my wonder sister! The girl who made me want to be a Phi Mu!
 All the Phi Mu alums at the reunion!

All in all, it was a wonderful day!! Weather could have been a little warmer but we didn't let that stop us one bit! I hope that we have these reunions more often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment